Changing Typing Echo Options
This option allows you to control the information echoed when typing, permanently or temporarily.
How to Permanently Set the Typing Echo
- Press INSERT+J and then do one of the following to open the StartUp Wizard dialog box,
- If the JAWS application window appears, press ALT+H, followed by the letter Z or select the Help menu and select StartUp Wizard in this menu
- If the JAWS context menu appears, press the letter H and then the letter Z or click Help and then click StartUp Wizard
- The Speech Settings window appears and your focus is placed on the Speech Rate scroll bar.
- Press the TAB key twice to move to the option, Typing Echo and use the arrow keys to make your selection from one of the following four radio buttons:
- Off: Select this option if you do not wish to hear typing echoed.
- Characters: Each character you type is echoed. This is the default setting.
- Words: Each word you type is echoed after pressing SPACEBAR or ENTER.
- Characters and Words: Characters are echoed as you type them and words are echoed after you press SPACEBAR or ENTER.
- Press the ENTER key 5 times to save your changes and close the StartUp Wizard dialog box
To Temporarily Adjust the Typing Echo
Press INSERT+2 (above the letter W) to cycle between the Typing Echo options. The last item spoken will be the active setting.
Note: The temporary changes will revert to the default once focus is moved away from the current window.